Landlord Lettings regulations

Please find below some brief advice as to the legal requirements involved in property rental.

Fire regulations governing furnished properties

Under the 1988 Fire Regulations Act it became law from March 1993 onwards that any property let furnished must comply with that Act. Therefore, any furnishings (expect pre 1950’s) left with a property must comply with BSI standards. Failure to comply with these regulations now carries a heavy penalty of £5,000 or a six month prison sentence if not adhered to. There is obviously a financial limit that landlords will wish to go to when furnishing a property. We therefore recommend that items of specific, intrinsic or sentimental value are not left within the property. To the same extent expensive china or glassware is not considered suitable and certain electrical items we recommend are not to be left due to their costly repair liability. These include: Food Mixers, Televisions, Computers, DVD Players, Hi-Fi Equipment, etc.

Gas regulations

It became Law in October 1994 for all gas appliances within a property to be serviced and safety checked at least once every 12 months by a Gas Safe registered engineer. The revised gas regulations also stipulate that a certificate must be available for the tenant’s inspection, proving that the services have been carried out. We can arrange for such services to be carried out by our recommended registered engineers or a Landlords choice of registered engineer. There is also a recommendation that all electrical appliances are safety tested on your behalf if required.

Electrical regulations

Your responsibilities as a landlord are to ensure that the electrical installation in a rented property is safe when tenants move in and maintained in a safe condition throughout its duration. A House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) must have aperiodic inspection carried out on the property every five years.

If your property is not an HMO, you are not legally obliged to do this. However, it is recommended that a periodic inspection and test is carried out by a registered electrician on your rental properties at least every five years. Any appliance provided within the tenanted property must be safe and have the CE marking (which is the manufacturer’s claim that it meets all the requirements of European law).


Insurers must be notified of the letting of your property so that the policy on the structure and contents may be endorsed. Insurance will be invalid if insurers are not correctly informed. The Home Agency also advise that insurance specific to contents cover is arranged to protect against possible damage by Tenants. The Home Agency cannot be held responsible for loss or damage to the contents while the property is let. The Home Agency are pleased to be able to offer a full range of specialist tailor made insurance for Landlords at competitive rates.